Frequently Asked Questions
We have put together the following information to help and assure you that buying a used canal boat or cruiser with Le Boat Brokerage is the right choice.
We hope that these frequently asked questions are a useful source of information and appreciate any feedback you may have. Should you have any further questions about buying and owning a used boat, please contact our brokerage representative via the contact page
We have also provided a quick search at the bottom of this page which will enable you to view the canal boats and cruisers that are currently available for sale.
- Are all the boats for sale well maintained?
- All our canal boats are maintained to good standards, maintenance is done by our engineers throughout the season while the boats are in charter. This starts from day one and continues until the boat is sold through Le Boat Brokerage sales.
- Can the Canal boats cruise everywhere in Europe?
- Canal boats and cruisers are built especially for the inland waterways but can also cruise lakes as well, because of their shallow draft and small engines they are not suitable for the open waters.
- Can I live on board?
- A lot of our clients become owners of a canal boat for the main purpose of having a second place of residence, whether it is for a few months or just a week on holiday. It is quite easy to add some additional home furnishings and change layouts to suit an owners needs.
- What is the annual upkeep of a second hand boat?
- A fibreglass canal boat is very affordable to own, we recommend antifouling and classic engine maintenance (oil and filters) every 1-2 years. It is not always necessary to use a marine specialist and with the right equipment it is more than easy to do yourself.
- Where can I keep my boat?
- We recommend renting/buying a private mooring in a marina of your choice. Most of the villages/towns crossed by canals or rivers have these and you can easily contact them to check availability. Rates can vary depending of the area, size of your boat and marina facilities.
- What comes with my boat?
- Our Canal boats are well equipped and allow you to be self sufficient while you spend time on board, this includes; hot water, electricity, heating, fridge, cooker…plus much more. Once you become the owner you can personalise your boat and add extra equipment to suit your needs.
- Where can I view the boats for sale?
- To view any of our models for sale you just need to contact our broker who will arrange an appointment with the base manager. We have brokerage boats located at our Le Boat bases in France, UK, Ireland, Holland, Belgium, and Italy (France having the largest inventory).
- Are there cruising taxes to pay while on the waterways?
- The only tax is for the locks, the owner tax is free of charge in France if you register your boat in your country. (For rates see www.vnf.fr)
- Do I have to pay Insurance?
- It’s recommended that you to take out both 3rd party liability insurance and insurance for damage, loss and theft. Our broker can provide you with information about companies that specialise in this.
- Can I transport my boat to a different location?
- If the boat you intend to buy is located at a base away from your desired mooring, it is easily possible to move it either by adjoining waterway or by truck. Contact our broker for a competitive quotation.
- More questions?
- For anything else you would like to know do not hesitate to contact our broker Frederic Molina on +33 (0)46 89 44 214 or visit our contact page to send an email to us.